Sunday, July 11, 2010

226.0 - Sunday Exercise

Weight - 226.0 lb
Weight Lost - 9.4 lb. in 18 days

Total Calories Eaten - 1403
Total Exercise/Activity Calories Earned - 152
Calorie Balance - 11 left to eat at 2lb loss/week rate
Weight Loss Rate Today - 2.0 lb loss/week
HWHL Points Today - 34 (228 total this session)

Exercise - 25 minute mile walk after dinner.

I had this brief conversation with Sue today about the rightness or wrongness of exercise on a Sunday, since the Sabbath day is supposed to be holy. But, frankly, it kills me to do absolutely nothing. Sue suggested that a walk/run while listening to Church music or materials would probably be a good thing. So that is what I did - I downloaded some Conference Talks from this past April session, put on my shoes, and went for a walk. It was really relaxing, and I learned some good things in the process. Pres. Monson sure has a spunky sense of humor. You gotta love him.

Now, I'm kind of dreading the coming of winter, when it will be too yucky most of the time to go for an evening walk on Sunday. Any suggestions?

And a quick shout-out to Jenn. Thanks for your great comments!! It's great to know someone is following the blog, and getting something out of it. Wahoo! I hope you find myfooddiary.com a good tool. I'll have to post some more recipes as I keep experimenting.

About the scales not budging - sometimes your body resists the weight-loss as it tries to figure out whether or not it needs to store fat. Over the years I have found that several things affect my weight-loss besides just the bottom line calorically. How I spread out my calories matters. If you are getting the bulk of your calories at night, your body is more likely to store them as fat when you sleep. If you don't exercise regularly, then your body is resistant to weight loss. I think also that you have to push yourself when you exercise, so you get your heartrate into a certain zone, so that your body starts telling itself, "Woah, I need to ditch some of this weight, because I need to perform at a higher level." Also make sure you are drinking plenty of water, so your body has the resources to get rid of the things you don't need. And of course, eating too few calories is also a problem, ironically, but that's because it can force your body into starvation mode, and it will cling to the weight. I'm almost always eating under my calorie limit, and my body seems to be okay with it, but I'm on the lookout for when my body stops being okay with that, and I can start rethinking my calorie structure. Good luck, and keep going!

1 comment:

  1. Walking and running have really become a form of solitude and meditation for me. Sometimes I listen to rockin' music and run intervals, but mostly I listen to mellow music or just listen to the birds and cows and smell the sagebrush and talk to God. Totally Sunday appropriate!

    ReplyDelete