Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Extra padding, food, and a helmet

Did my bike course today.  First, I warmed up with about 15 min on my rebounder.  Then, with all the construction around the race course, I went back to my regular course, a 3.5 mile loop that I did four times.  For some reason today, I just got really saddle-sore.  So that's what padded biker shorts are for!  Sigh.  Man, I'm still feeling it.  The chafing on the delicate bits started to be a lot more worrisome than my quads.  My quads were fine the second half, or at least overshadowed so much by the soreness where I was sitting that they didn't seem to be screaming for attention like they do the first half.  And I hit spots that just winded me.  I know that part of the problem is that I've got some fine tuning to work out with the gears.  My sister, Sue, has volunteered to loan me a good road racing bike, or at least a bike that is in better shape and design than the one I'm currently riding.  But that means gas money to go retrieve it, and I'm not sure I should do that now.  I'm hoping my eBay sales will be good the next few weeks.  I could also get my current bike in a lot better shape than it is in - just strip it down and lubricate it and do fine adjustments on it.  I found someone in my ward (church) who could help, and I've just been dragging my feet setting up a time, getting over there and getting it done.

Another problem that will take some better planning on my part, is that I need to eat before I go on a bike ride, as it seems to take the most endurance so far.  I don't like exercising after I've eaten, so I never eat anything in the morning until I've exercised.  But sometimes I don't get around to that until 10 or 11.  By that time it's been over 12 hours since I last ate anything, and my blood sugar is low, probably too low for what biking takes out of me.  So, on biking days I need to make sure I eat before I leave.

Totally random, but I passed several people I knew from my ward.  One was with a crew working on the power lines, and one was out walking with her sister and kids.  It's kind of odd riding out on the road, and trying to figure out what is the right thing to do with traffic and pedestrians.  I probably ought to read a rule book, you think?  Plus, I keep forgetting to get myself down to the police station where I hear they give out bike helmets for free, but it might be just for kids.  As I'm racing down the road on a downhill section, I find myself thinking, "Wrecking without a helmet on would be very bad.  Let's get a bike helmet, shall we?"

No comments:

Post a Comment